How it works
Each team competes as a country that participates in the Paralympics, with each adaptive sport played once by each team. The gold, silver and bronze medallist is determined by which country places first, second and third. The overall winner of the Mini Paralympics is the team that earns the most medals.
Sports should be adaptive sports and could include:
- One-handed handball
- Sit-down goal-shooting
- Blind folded tunnelball or over-and-under
- Adaptive Walk-a-thon
There are a range of other games and activities featured on Sport Australia’s website, including how to play and equipment requirements.
Register to start fundraising online and ask participants to donate an amount, with the proceeds going to Paralympics Australia. The Games could be held on one day or over a longer time period such as a week or month.
Tips for Organising
- Try to encourage a team of people within your group to help organise the event. This could include parents, leaders, and senior and community members.
- Assign small tasks to all volunteers to prevent any one person from becoming overwhelmed, and use the checklist below to ensure all tasks are accounted for.
- Let everyone know why it is important to help raise funds for Paralympics Australia. Distribute our 'Why fundraise for Paralympics Australia' fact sheet early on and continue to communicate the information within it wherever possible.
2. Prior to the event
- Assign a volunteer to each sport.
- Create a schedule, draw and scoring matrix for each sport.
Register to fundraise with Paralympics Australia.
Ideas to engage participants
- Encourage participants to research the country they are competing for. What is their flag? What are their cultures and values? Who are some famous Paralympians?
- Practice each sport as a team before the Games, and discuss how difficult it would be to play if you couldn’t see, walk, etc.
- Determine which sports will be contested and over what period i.e. day, week, month.
- Register to fundraise with Paralympics Australia and download the tip sheets and the Gold, Silver and Bronze medals for your winners.
- Confirm a fundraising model and timeline for collection.
- Formulate a contingency plan for wet weather.
- Communicate updates to participants.
Ensure team leaders are engaged and have a plan for discussing the Games in their group time.
Other ways to Fundraise
Rising Phoenix Watch Party
Rising Phoenix, a Netflix original documentary, is the story of the Paralympic movement starring Australia’s Ryley Batt and Ellie Cole.
I CAN Challenge
The things you can’t do, don’t define what you CAN. Take the I CAN challenge!
Green and Gold Mufti Day
Wear green and gold and show your support for the Australian Paralympic Team!
Get in contact with us
If you have any further questions or want to find out how you can get involved, please contact our Fundraising Team on +61 2 9704 0500 or email email@example.com